Search using Keyword

You can find posts with keywords such as: knee, seasonal, vegan or any topic you wish to find a post related to.

Search This Blog

Monday, October 17, 2016

Squash & Apples



When I first started to explore the world of vegetarianism and dieting in my tweens, I discovered a recipe from the Vegetarian
Scarsdale diet Squash with Apple.
I was hooked.  I make it to this day and its such a simple and delicious meal.
Power packed, the orange colored acorn squash is filled with phytonutrients while falling into a non grain carb.  All squash, pumpkin and yams are often used in bodybuilding diets for a clean carb.
The prep and cooking of it is simple and fast.

There are a few ways to do the apple.  You can core it and cook it in the pan now with the squash, peeled or not, your choice.  I do this when I don't feel like peeling and chopping it.....which is the second way I will tell you further down.

Cut the stem area off the top of the acorn squash then cut it from stem to tip, in half.
Scoop out the seeds, place both halves open side down in 2 inches of water in a pan and cook at 375 for 35 mins.

If you did not cook the apple in whole, peel and chop 2 small apples, I prefer granny smith.
After the 35 mins of the squash cooking, pull it out, turn them over (spinkle with sweetener, brown sugar, optional) and put the chopped apple in the center.
Cook for another 25 mins and your done.

Optional - Top with chopped walnuts, raw or if you like toasted, put them on 3-5 mins before you pull out the dish and hit broil for a few mins.
Salt and Pepper to your liking.  I use Pink Salt and cracked black pepper.

You can't believe how flipping yummy this is!
Try it out for the Fall and Winter season.  Kids will love the taste of this.


No comments:

Post a Comment